Saturday, January 4, 2014

Top Ten Songs of 2013

The year 2013 was of great changes for me. I left Venezuela to pursue my real dream, the music business. Living in the United States introduced me to a whole new experience discovering great music on the way.
This post is from my very personal opinion. I chose the songs I liked the most this past year, may be you are agree with me, maybe not. My purpose was to find songs with the ingredients to be great with commercial content at the same time.

I hope you have fun checking out these artists, and maybe I can help you to discover new music for your iPod.


Let’s begin

10.  Wake Me Up – Avicii

I think of all the song I chose as the best ones of 2013, this is the most commercial one. Despite I am not such an EDM fan, it is clear that “Wake Me Up” is a good track. The song features uncredited vocals from American soul singer Aloe Blacc and acoustic guitar from Incubus' Mike Einziger. 




9. Rap God – Eminem

I haven’t heard this song as much as I have heard the other ones, however, I was impressed by Eminem performing this track at the Youtube Music Awards. I chose this song because of the great lyrics and outstanding rapping skills. Furthermore, it is a great song.  




   8. Mi Marciana – Alejandro Sanz

Alejandro Sanz is one of my favorite music artists. I like how he defends the good music over the commercial one. His latest album was named “La Musica No Se Toca” which means, “Do Not Touch the Music.” With this title he is claiming for more consideration to the good music. The Single “Mi Marciana” was released as the third single of the album and received good reviews.



      7. Darte un Beso – Prince Royce

Darte Un Beso is a bachata song written by Prince Royce. The song reached number one on Billboard Latin chart. The sound of the song is very powerful with a very catchy chorus. This is a little part of Latin America in my countdown.






 6. When I Was Your Man – Bruno Mars

What I like the most of this song is the fact that is made just by voice and piano. When it is good song, no instruments are needed. It was released as the third promotional single taken from the album and as the second official single. "When I Was Your Man" is a soul and pop piano ballad about a pre-fame heartbreak as he regrets a girl that he let get away, expressing his earnest hope that her new man is giving her all the love and attention he was unwilling, or unable to provide when they were together. The song lyrics are perfect and great performance by Bruno Mars.



5Radioactive – Imagine Dragons


Imagine Dragons have been able to place the single on the US charts for a whole year. The rotation of the song in many commercials and trailers helped them to get recognition in the US audience. "Radioactive" was first sent to radio on April 2, 2012 and again on October 29, 2012. I like the combination of good music and electronic elements in the song.




4. Same Love – Macklemore & Ryan Lewis

Same Love is a song with a deep social message. Macklemore & Ryan Lewis could be considered as the most important US emerging artist in 2013. With their hit “Thrift Shop”, they gained recognition all over the world. "Same Love" was written in support of legalizing same-sex marriage particularly in reference to Washington Referendum 74 (R-74 or Ref 74), a Washington State referendum to approve or reject the February 2012 bill that would legalize same-sex marriage in the state.  Easy listening song with a great message.  




      3. Let Her Go – Passenger

This song started to get attention in the US radio in the last quarter of 2013.  The song was written and recorded by the British singer-composer Passenger. His real name is Mike Rosenberg and he produced the song with Chris Vallejo and recorded it in Sydney, Australia.  The lyrics and the catchy voice of Passenger made this song my top 3.




      2. Safe and Sound – Capital Cities

When I got here to Orlando early August 2013, this was one of the first songs that started to catch my ear. The sound of the trumpet and the cool balance with electronic music made me decided to place it as the second best song of 2013. The song was released as a digital download in the United States in February 2011! Impressive right? The song took two years to get public recognition, good for them!




     1. Pompeii – Bastille

The British band led by Dan Smith, released “Pompeii” on February 2013. The single reached number one on Ireland, and peaked at number two in Italy and the UK. Lyrically, the song is inspired by the Roman town known by the same name, which met its fate with the eruption of Mount Vesuvius. The band doesn’t have a guitar player; it is just drums, bass, and keyboards. The song started to rotate on US radios at the very last month of 2013. Although it hasn't been played as much on the radio, it is clear to me that this song was the best one of 2013. 





I hope you have liked my top ten songs of 2013. Please feel free to comment below your opinions!

Best wishes for the 2014. 



No comments:

Post a Comment