Wednesday, July 16, 2014

The LAMC Experience



I had the great opportunity of bringing the Executive Director of Peermusic for Miami and Puerto Rico, Julio Bagué, to Full Sail University on June 9, 2014. We had the chance of giving him a tour on site and after, we hosted an event in the Entertainment Business Auditorium.


I had the chance of doing a live interview with Julio. He told students great stories about how he became such a successful music business professional. I am bringing this up because he mentioned in the interview a conference that was going to happen in New York City few weeks later. It caught my attention and I started to do some more research about this music conference.

The conference is called The LAMC (Latin Alternative Music Conference) and it is held every year in New York City. After few calls, emails, and deals on airplane tickets, I was on my way to The Big Apple for the first time in my life.


The event had everything I expected. The 2014 conference had excellent panelists such as Gabriel Abaloa (President and CEO of The Latin Academy of Recording Arts and Science - LARAS), Tomas Cookman (President and Owner of Nacional Records), and Jordi Puig (Founder of Vive Latino Festival), among others.


Besides these excellent lectures with these amazing panelists, the conference offered concert series all week. I watched performing live, Latin artists such as ChocQuibTown, Illya Kuryaki and the Valderramas, Ana Tijoux, and Esteman, among others.


After this experience, I am more convinced that music conferences such as The LAMC are valuable. The connections and networking that attendees can do at these events are infinite. Music professionals from musicians to artist’s managers and executive producers are together in one place for three days.

New York is an amazing city also known as one of the best cities for experiencing any kind of music. Going to the LAMC in 2015 is a must for all students who are pursuing careers in the music industry. You will meet cool people, make contacts, and, of course, you will have fun.


No comments:

Post a Comment